Phonics at Cherbourg – at a glance information
- Phonics is learning the sounds that letters and groups of letters make
- Knowing phonics helps children to read words by sounding them out
- Knowing phonics can also help you to spell words
- Phonics is taught to all children from Year R to Year 2 in a daily lesson
- Some children may have further phonics sessions after Year 2 to support their reading
- There is a Phonics Check for all children in Year 1 (parents/carers will be given the outcome of this)
- Children re-take the Phonics Check in Year 2 if they do not reach the required benchmark in Year 1
There are a selection of useful phonics website links on our Phonics page that you can use with your child.
Please do speak to your child’s class teacher (or a member of the English Team) if you have any questions about Phonics.
|Phonics at Cherbourg||
At Cherbourg it is our intent to provide pupils with a high-quality education in English that will support them to…
|Phonics Glossary at Cherbourg||
As Phonics and Spelling is an extremely important aspect of children’s writing, we decided to create a glossary defining the…
|Useful links for phonics||
Here are a selection of useful links to help support your child's learning in phonics.